top of page
  • Babajide EverBlazin

Wimbledon: Italy's Berrettini pulls out after contracting COVID-19



One of the favorite contenders for the men's singles, Matteo Berrettini, has pulled out of the ongoing Wimbledon after testing positive for COVID-19.


The 26-year-old, seeded eighth, was due to play Chile's Cristian Garin in his opening match at 13:00 BST on Tuesday having emerged runner up to Novak Djokovic in last year's final.

"I am heartbroken," said Berrettini, who said he has had flu symptoms and been isolating for the past few days.


He has been replaced in the draw by lucky loser Elias Ymer of Sweden.


"I have no words to describe the extreme disappointment I feel," added Berrettini.


"The dream is over for this year, but I will be back stronger."


Berrettini said he decided to test on Tuesday despite his symptoms not being severe.


"I decided it was important to take another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone else involved in the tournament," he added.


He has won his past nine matches on grass after winning the Stuttgart final - where he beat Britain's Andy Murray - earlier this month before going on to retain his title at Queen's.

3 views0 comments
bottom of page